Saturday, October 11, 2003

gini chin

October 11, 2003 Saturday
We met at Fong Chong for Dim Sum. She had warmed me that she is not Chinese. Her ex-husband is Chinese. She has streaked blonde hair. I got there early because I thought we were suppose to meet at eleven. I bought a small roasted duck. The man behind the counter chops the duck for me. I brought it back to the table and ate a few pieces because I was so hungry I couldn’t wait. The tea is really good and hot. She came at eleven forty five. Lunch with Gini Chin and David of www.reddoorfilms.com
I mention about Dan Burns when she asked me who else was showing. It turns out the she’s originally from Lancaster. I wanted to photograph the tiny bones in her studio. But maybe next time. She showed me the skull of a dog with hairs still attached. The tray of white bones is neatly arranged. A skull of bat, cat, and dogs. It reminds me of the small kiosk of the watch repairs. Working with gears soaked in cleaning liquid petri dishes. I asked for two objects to photogram.
I asked for Lam’s object too. The object will become a portrait of the artist in form of a photogram. It is a collaborative process. It is my portrait of the artist.
I lived near a sign painter. He painted on metal. The signs are large. He also does portraits for ancestor worship.
I didn’t know the language, so I made these drawings and show it to the welder. They were making a gate for a property near by our studio. The piece is about collaboration between the welders and me. I bought him a bottle of wine to thank him afterwards. The piece is about the communications between two cultures and the bridge of the universal language of drawings, instructional drawings that borders on the technical.
I think I can place some of the Gini chin pieces on pedestals as sculptures.
Gini said that gallery 114 might contact me to have me bring in the work and to talk with me.
We talked about residences. She worried that if the artists are in an unfamiliar environment, how will she work? It forces you to make some thing else.
We talked about Joseph Biels’ work. Gini said that it disturbed her that she found it humorist.

No comments:

Search This Blog