Monday, July 11, 2011

07.11.11

Yesterday was so sunny. So I just drove up to NE Killingsworth to check out a messenger bag at Half Pint Vintage store which has cool boots, bags, and belt. Mostly leather. I bought the bag for $38 bugs. My brother thought we all should check out Yakuza near by for pre diner treats. The have really trendy good food and thick hamburger served rare only. The back yard seating was really nice. We walked around afterwards and found the vintage store where I had my eye on the bag. It has working clips not like the fake buttons that attaches to flaps you see now a days. The leather is trimmed and a bit scratched and stained but clean. It shows a nice patina. Because Yakuza was closed on Sunday, I headed to Cup and Saucer Cafe. I had a salad because it was too hot for anything else and because I frankly don't get enough of salads these days. I remember when we were in Hungary, the person from Pennsylvania made a list of all the salads that he was going to eat when he get back to his state. Hungary has lots of good food but at our area, there were lots of game meat and pizza but not much of American salad. There was vitamin salad which to him was not the same. He craved summer salad as I do. Not that Eastern Europeans don't have salads. A memorable salad I had was in Poland, Poznan. It was in a fancy restaurant. The tomato was peeled. That was a memorable detail. I've not had a salad like that ever since.

Your wondering why I'm bragging about travels to Poland and Hungary? Well to tell you the truth. I don't travel much these days. The Hungary trip was in 2001, the summer before the 9/11. I carried so much stuff on that trip it was unbelievable. I had a metal trip pod, an old Mamiya C330 medium format camera. For those of you who don't know what a medium format camera is, it's a film camera which has negatives three or four times bigger the 35mm film. In mega pixels, it's probably some 20 to 40 mega pixels, two or four times the average digital point and shoot. I don't recommend carrying anything like that. I was able to take a dozen good shots. Believe it or not, some people prefer to carry film gears because, with digital gear, you have to carry the charger, laptop, and a few other equipment to make it work. Although, I did travel to NY last September with a laptop, a serious compact camera Panasonic Lumix GF1. It was bought for the trip. I dropped it once at the Apple store in Tribecca and just the other night, dropped it on the wooden stair at my sister's house. It went tumbling down a few steps but works just fine. There is a dent at the corner of the camera which mark it as mine. Althought, the viewing screen is dark sometimes, I think it is due to the drop. It goes dark only when I turn it vertically for the vertical shots.

If I'm ambitious and have time, I like to put together something about photography and travel.

No comments:

Search This Blog